Friday, January 14, 2011

A Tentative Whew!

So.... the former friend back in Canada, the one who was really un-friendly to me when I was going through a tough time, has finally responded to the many requests from me and my family members and is supposedly going to return the keys to my apartment and my bank pass to them this week!!

What a relief! She agreed to do this two months ago, but then slowly turned into some kind of crazy person and eventually just refused to reply to my emails asking her about it. If I saw her online and sent her a message, she'd ignore it. I notice she has disappeared from my social contact sites like Facebook and MSN.

It's so weird. She used to be a pretty normal person, but I guess something really changed for her when her former relationship ended. She is now involved with a friend of mine, and that friend has basically said that he won't let her interfere with us still being friends. And thank goodness, as within the first week of their relationship (when she was still my 'friend'), she'd told me that he had told her that he felt uncomfortable around me. I was surprised, naturally, and asked him about it. He had no idea what she was talking about. And then, she denied saying it. At first I chalked it up to a misunderstanding, but given how weird things have become, maybe not!

A huge burden will be lifted from my shoulders when she finally hands my stuff over. I was starting to worry about whether I'd have to call the police or something to get those things back. And, since she's dating a friend, and I know her mom, how awkward would that be!?!

I've been looking around to see if there is any advice about how to keep your friendship when they've chosen a partner who you don't like, and mostly, the advice is to keep your opinions to yourself. Which actually, I totally agree with. But, normally I am available to my friends to talk about anything and everything. Now the problem is that I don't want to hear about anything to do with my former friend.

So I guess he'll just have to talk about his relationship and his life with her with someone else. I'm not used to setting limits on my friendships, though. But of course, that's ok, isn't it? To just not be available for certain things, even if you usually are. We all have limits, and I can set my own. I don't want to be less of a friend to him though. But I guess I have to be less than what I think is my usual friendship-self, in order to look after myself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment