Sunday, September 4, 2011

Tips and Tricks for Self-Acceptance

Ok, so I haven't posted in a while... because I've been busy!! Another friend from Canada visited for 10 days, my husband is switching jobs, and we've bought a condo!! Plus my health is both up and down... again. So, lots on the go, as usual, but a little less introspective than usual.

I've been noticing that the emotional ups-and-downs have died down a bit, and a lot of that I feel is a result of my new smartphone. It's a life-changer! I downloaded some apps that help me keep track of all kinds of things, from how long and when I go to sleep to what I eat to when and if I meet my daily goals. And I love them! I am *finally* getting some perspective on myself.

Let me lay it out for you: Instead of setting a goal of getting up at 8:00 am, I am recording when I go to sleep and when I wake up. After a week or so, a pattern emerges. In my case, I rarely fall asleep before 1:00 am, and usually wake up at 10:00am. Yet, there is still a yo-yo pattern that has developed, where for a few days the falling asleep time remains the same, but I get up earlier and earlier, until it switches over, I either fall asleep quite late or sleep in quite late, or both... and then I fall asleep later and later and wake up at the same time until the same switch happens and the first pattern repeats.

No idea what it means, yet. But I have stopped making appointments that require me to be up and at 'em before 10:00am!

So I guess the tips and tricks I have for learning to accept yourself are these:
  1. Get to know yourself.
  2. No expectations!
  3. No judgements!
  4. Pay attention.
  5. If there is something you want to change, find the most gentle way to approach that change.
  6. Don't be afraid of your faults.
  7. Don't be afraid of your wonderful qualities!
Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment