Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Self-Control

I want to really enjoy 2011. I mean, I've enjoyed all the years I've lived so far, so no reason why not, but I think I can do away with some excess baggage, and then who knows what possibilities await me!!!

I love to read. I am so glad that one of J's cousins also loves to read... and in ENGLISH... because I get to borrow his books! Now, I do enjoy reading in Dutch, but I haven't really found a Dutch or Flemish author who writes the kinds of book I like to read. I love detective stories. I like the ones with a bit of violence, a bit of psychological suspense, or a bit of philosophy. Best are all three. And one of my long-time favourite authors is Robert B. Parker, and I admire many things about his character, Spenser.

One book, early on in the series, has Spenser teach a teen-age boy about self-control. He did it by helping the boy develop physical strength, learn some useful skills, taught him some social manners and expected him to explore his own wants, needs and interests. I really enjoyed this book.

And it got me thinking about self-control, and self-discipline. And so I decided to just work on getting up at the same time every day, even if I'm tired.

Today is Day 2. So far, so good.

Yesterday I went to the gym for the morning class. I really enjoyed that. I went to bed a bit earlier than normal, but not much. Just as we were finally going to bed, I got really grumpy about all the things I still didn't do during the day. I wrote them all down, and I am spending some time today working on some of them. I'll keep doing that so that all that anxiety that comes up when I'm tired can have an outlet.

I'm also going to keep working on going to bed earlier. I think I got so grumpy just because I was tired! I am curious about what I'm tired signals I've been missing!

I was hoping to go to a meditation-evening tonight. I want to develop my ability to do nothing. Currently, me doing nothing is still me going a mile a minute, which is one reason why I find falling asleep and bedtime so anxiety-provoking. Unfortunately, it was cancelled. On the other hand, I get to participate in this class in the gym! My favourite!

No comments:

Post a Comment